So you have decided to remodel your bathroom to make life easier for you. But how do you start? This article will show you some tips on the first things that you should consider when remodeling:
Assess your bathroom
You have to assess your entire bathroom for a lot of things so it is important that you do not rush this initial process. Assessing your bathroom first will give you an idea as to what kind of improvements you need for your remodeling. Here are the areas that you should pay attention to when doing an initial assessment:
- Walls – lookout for chipped paint, deformities or inconsistencies, mildew, and cracks.
- Floor – lookout for fractures and nicks for tile flooring. For vinyl flooring, check the panels to make sure that they are not lifting.
- Water components – look for signs of rust, make sure that the faucets and showerheads are functioning well, look for signs of leakage. Also, check if your pipes are making strange noises.
- Cabinets – look for cracks and creaking sounds when you open them.
- Aesthetic – do you like the way your bathroom looks with regards to the color, style, and arrangement?
- Size – are you remodeling to expand your bathroom? Do you want more space but have no room to expand?
Know what you want
After the assessment, you now have an idea as to what are the weak points of your current bathroom and what should be done to improve them. Now it’s time to create a vision – the dream bathroom that you are aiming for. For inspiration, go online and check out pictures of bathrooms and try to see if you can incorporate the elements that you like into one vision. For instance, take note of the way a bathroom vanity is set up so that you can copy it in the style that you want.
Stick to your budget
Now that you know what you need and want, you should come up with a reasonable judgment that can turn your dream bathroom into a reality. A budget can determine your limitations. Make sure you calculate what you need accurately so you do not have to stop the work in the middle of the project because you ran out of funds. But don’t be too stingy on your budget too or else you might end up with a drab and dull bathroom that is nowhere near your plans. Remember, when it comes to remodeling, it is important to save as much money as you can without compromising on the style that you want. For instance, instead of getting a separate sink and a separate bathroom cabinet, why not get a bathroom vanity that combines both instead? This way, you only spend for one installation plus you also get to save space.
If you plan to do the remodeling on your own, check your plans and ask if you can really do it. Sometimes, it is better to seek professional help – especially for installations that need electrical work or plumbing. If these tasks are done poorly, you will be facing larger and expensive problems soon. Remember, never DIY a remodeling unless you are a professional yourself. Poor remodeling will only cost you more money than if you hired a professional for the job.